Maintaining FireStats translation
Thanks for translating FireStats!
Below are instructions that will allow you to maintain your translation. don't be scared if it looks hard, it's really easy.
if you don't understand anything Contact me.
Maintaining your translation requires using a Subversion client to send your changes to the server. Subversion is the version control system I use to manage FireStats source. The idea is that you get commit (write) access to the repository, and then you can keep the translation up-to-date without going through me.
Before you begin, please:
- join the FireStats translation mailing list.
- send me a username and password for your subversion account.
I recommend using Tortoise subversion client (Download from here), which is an easy to use Windows client. If you use another operating system let me know and we will find a suitable client. This walkthrough will assume you are running Tortoise SVN on Windows, but the information here is also appropriate for other subversion clients.
First time setup
- Download and install Tortoise subversion client.
- Create directory where you will put FireStats files, in this walkthrough I used c:\work, enter the directory.
- Right click inside the directory, and select SVN Checkout...
- Enter http://svn.firestats.cc/auth/branches into the Repository url and click ok, FireStats branches will check-out.
- Copy your translation into the appropriate direcory, if you translated FireStats 1.0.2, that would be c:\work\firestats-1.0\i18n.
- Right click the file, select Tortoise SVN->Add and press ok.
- Right click the file again, select SVN Commit, enter a short message like "New Klingon translation!" and press ok. you will be asked for a username and password (Those are the username and password you gave me at the begining of the walkthrough).
- If you get no error message, this is it! You have committed your new translation!
Maintaining your translation
After a while, I will release a new major version of FireStats - for this tutorial lets assume you translated 1.0 and I release 1.1.
when this happens, I will create a new directory called firestats-1.1 in branches. to translate the new version, follow those instructions:
- Right-click inside the c:\work directory and select update. this will get the new directory (and also get you any changes to your existing direcories).
- Open your translation file with poedit (in this case, its c:\work\firestats-1.1\i18n\firestats-kl_CR.po).
- Open Catalog->Settings->Paths and correct the path to c:\work\firestats-1.1, click ok.
- Click the update button (The earth like icon in the toolbar). Poedit should display a list of all the new strings.
- Translate the new strings, when you are done, save and close poedit.
- Right click on the trasnlation file, and select SVN Commit, enter a message like "Updated Klingon translation in version 1.1".
- This is it! You have updated your translation!
As always, if you encounter any problems please Contact me.